What is Reflexology?
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a holistic modality using hand and finger pressure on the feet, outer ears and/or hands with the intent to stimulate nerve endings, creating positive electrical and chemical changes contributing to homeostasis. Reflexology is also known as zone therapy which accepts the belief that a human body can be divided into 10 continuous longitudinal sections from head to toe. When a zone is stimulated on one end it can affect any organ, gland and body part along that same line. Reflexology, while applied therapeutically has the potential for deep healing, stress and pain relief.
It is believed that each foot is wired with over 7000 nerve endings, each ear with about 25.000 ending and each hand registers information such as pressure, temperature, vibration from 100,000 nerve receptors. Once pressure is applied to a surface packed with sensory receptors, messages will travel up the spinal cord to the brain stem passing through the thalamus to reach the cerebral cortex. These messages will then be processed as thoughts, perceptions, speech, movement, and memory. Reflexology is used to gently stimulate, restore, preserve or enhance physical, emotional, mental and spiritual balance.
Reflexology is a gentle therapy that helps:
- Reach deep relaxation and Improve sleep
- Promote feelings of happiness and contentment
- Improve circulation and lymph flow
- Decrease nerve and musculoskeletal pain
- Improve a sense of balance and grounding
- Reduce stress and anxiety from daily challenges
- Provide a sense of peace and mentally rejuvenate
- Support emotional balance
- Anyone who likes or feels the need to release tension in the feet from standing, walking or running for long hours at a time
- Overwhelmed, stressed, anxious individuals seeking more balance in life
- People with challenging sleep patterns – not falling or staying asleep
- Cancer patients seeking symptom relief from pain and anxiety
- Individuals wanting a “full-body” massage experience without getting undressed or touched “all over”
- Elderly or individuals with conditions that interfere with overall balance and movement
- Pregnant/postpartum mothers in need of pain relief, emotional and hormonal balance
Reflexology is a gentle yet effective and cumulative manual therapy that can provide a deep sense of relaxation during and days after the session is completed. A reflexology session can be administered to a client laying down or seating in a recliner fully clothed. It does not require the use any lotion, cream or ointment but can be used if applicable. It can be done either in the comfort of someone’s home or in a facility where a reflexologist is present. A reflexologist will ask health-related questions to ensure no contraindication, establish a treatment plan to reach the client’s goals and may explain sensations the client will experience throughout the session.
How often should I schedule a reflexology session?
A reflexology session frequency and intensity varies upon the client’s current wellbeing and goals to be achieved. Someone using reflexology for relaxation purposes alone can pace the sessions as a maintenance routine from once to twice a month or less upon the stress level. Someone with more significant and debilitating challenges including severe nerve pain, musculoskeletal pain, migraines, hormonal imbalances, emotional hardship, balance issues, and immune or digestive disorders will benefit from a weekly session for 6 to 8 weeks or until significant improvement is noted.
Chantal is a Certified Massage Therapist, as well as Certified Clinical Aromatherapist and Reflexologist. She has been practicing for 10+ years, but her passion for healing and helping others started when she was very young. She strongly believes in the healing power of touch and adores her craft. Chantal is a humble provider that cares for others physically, mentally, and emotionally. Through her artistic and intuitive bodywork, she offers the sum of her own life experiences, skills and knowledge to provide clients with the most valuable session that they can receive for ultimate mind + body healing.