Holiday Fitness Facts
December 22nd, 2021
How to Stay Healthy During The Holidays
Written By: Matt Campbell
When I sat down to write this blog with the holidays suddenly right in front of me, I thought, “I should post some diet and exercise tips for ‘How to Stay Healthy During the Holidays’”. However, as I began to compile those resources, I realized that while technically accurate and maybe even helpful these can be sometimes, things like “chew slower, use a smaller plate, or schedule workouts in advance” sometimes just don’t really “cut it”. When you have that giant Christmas china plate in hand, on your way back for round two, it’s hard to stop and try to measure out your portions. I started to wonder instead about some good old-fashioned, cold, hard facts. Here’s some of what I uncovered. Listed in no particular order whatsoever of course.
I guess you could call it a little “food for thought”.
- Americans consume just under 3,000 calories during an average holiday meal
- Recommended total daily caloric intake for most adults is between 2,000- 2,500 calories.
- To burn off the calories from 1 slice of pecan pie, you would have to walk approximately 5.5 miles (or just over 10,000 steps).
- The recommendation for general fitness for a healthy adult is 10,000 steps per day.
- According to a Mayo Clinic study, the average American walks between 3,000-4,000 steps per day.
- According to a NCHS report, which drew on five years of data from the National Health Interview Survey, only about 23% of US adults meet the recommendations for weekly physical activity.
- Physical inactivity accounts for roughly 8.7 percent of U.S. health care expenditures, or approximately $117 billion per year.
- Adults who are physically active spend nearly $1,500 less per year on health care than inactive adults.
At the end of the day, we are all going to eat the things that taste good and celebrate with those we love. Our goal here at Thrive is not to make you feel “bad” or “defeated” or “suck the fun out of the holidays” but more so, we want to make you aware of the possibilities of applying movement and nutritional moderation during this season.
We want you to Thrive through the holidays (all of the pun intended haha). Ultimately, we want to empower you to make tiny adjustments to your holiday lifestyle so you feel like your best self and make memories with those around you.
Schedule a Fitness Assessment Today + Start Your Journey to Moving the Right Way!
Meet Matt: Restorative Fitness Program Director
Matt brings over 18 years of experience in the fitness industry and a passion for movement and people! He has an insatiable appetite for learning and has always had a fascination with how things work. That curiosity first manifested during his studies at VCU and evolved over a life of navigating his own chronic pain and injuries and the search for information and hard-to-find answers. He credits that important journey, though, with truly learning the capabilities of the applied human body and the transformative power of strength training.